1.23.2010

Don't Cramp My Style Dave Ramsey


Jonathan and I have started... as of Friday....a cash envelope system popularized by Dave Ramsey and his Financial Peace University. We actually did the FPU right before we got married... a "wedding present" from our church. All the ins and outs of Financial Peace made total sense then... but, then again, we weren't married so had NO idea what it was like to have a joint budget, etc.

After almost 6 years of being married, we are trying out the envelope system... due to, perhaps, some budgeting miscalculations...hmmm..... I would like to blame it all on Jonathan, who has the I-have-to-have-it-all syndrome, but I would be lying if I said I didn't feed my coffee habit or buy a little Mary Kay here and there.

I lectured Jonathan for 30 minutes on the ins and outs of it, how we must only use our debit cards for gas, doctors, and hair cuts.... and the rest would be cash... groceries, entertainment, eating out, fun money....

I went shopping today and bought a gift... with my debit card. GASP... and I got a lecture on how we are only supposed to use our cards for gas, doctors, and hair cuts. Gift buying is not a hair cut! Why didn't I use cash? I failed to make an envelope for gifts. oops....I do have a budget for gifts, I explained, which I did NOT go over... hmm... I see a new envelope being made.

Speaking of envelopes, Mr, Ramsey has a large assortment of envelope system wallets... which if I wanted to buy, I don't have an envelope made for so I would have to forgo getting a hair cut or buying a birthday present. And besides, they are kind of fugly and would cramp my style. I have found some others...here's one.... and another....and another (seen in pic above)....which are super cute. But, I'm not sure... I don't think my left over Christmas card envelopes are going to last very long... that's for sure... so something needs to be bought. I just have to figure out what envelope to buy it from.

Ps... This is number 80 and 81.

2 comments:

The Breaux Family said...

Oh I went to FPU too! Cool! I did the whole envelope thing......rocked the whiet paper envelopes.....hmmm lasted for about 2 months. I know, SAD! Good luck with it! YOU CAN DO IT!

P.S. Those envelopes are SUPER cute!

Anonymous said...

one comment won't you have to use your debit card to get to the cash??????