Disclaimer: Since I am not a writer, there is no way that I could actually tell the story so that you experience how funny it was in real life. As they say, you had to be there. But, I'll try...
Some background on Hayden and his sleeping issues. He has night terrors occasionally. He used to have more when he was younger, but now if he doesn't get enough sleep he will have one... maybe 2 or 3 a year. If you've never seen one, it's rather odd.... he will shuffle/jog around the house, tell us "they" are looking at him, he can see "their" eyes, cries, tells us he loves us over and over, and even once went out the front door and started walking down the street. He looks totally awake, but is no where near consciousness. We usually just put him back to bed because trying to talk to him or wake him up is impossible. In the morning, he never remembers anything. Weird!
Last night he spent the night at his friends' house down the street. We assumed they would stay up late playing video games... what middle school boy wouldn't? He came home around noon, then took a shower to go appliance shopping with us (ps, we are broke now... but have a kick ass fridge and dishwasher!).
When we first got there, Jonathan offered to give the kids money to get ice cream next door.... but Hayden had fallen asleep in the back seat on the very SHORT drive from Target... which is right across the street. Sad... no ice cream since he didn't answer. So, with my nook in Zoe's hands, and Hayden with his ipod, we put them in some chairs and started browsing. We took about 20-30 minutes from start to finish, and the whole time Zoe played angry birds while Hayden
As I'm signing the paperwork (and Jonathan's off at the other end of the store) Hayden's head pops up with a panicked look on his face - classic night terror/I.am.sleep.deprived look. He then proceeds to dump a HUGE bowl of candy out onto the checkout counter. I ask, "What are you looking for Hayden?".... he just keeps dumping. Then, he brings the bowl over to me, still looking panicked and out of it. I think to myself, must be some kind of huge bug in there..... I look. It's emp.ty. EMPTY. Homeboy is freaking out now.... So, I say..."Hayden it's fine. Go put the bowl back." He then, still without talking, turns to go behind the checkout counter to show the employees his empty bowl. I'm starting to fall apart because I'm laughing so hard... at the same time trying to direct him from behind the counter and call Jonathan who is sill across the store. "JONATHAN!".... giggle, snort.... and hoping by golly that other people are miraculously missing his behavior.
Then, Hayden speaks: "I feel funny." Proceeds to give me a hug and starts to cry. "JONATHAN!" Hayden then starts walking toward Jonathan and hugs him, crying. Jonathan is completely confused because he didn't see the whole candy bowl episode - which, is still sitting empty because I'm still holding it. After signing, I get all the candy back in the bowl, we get our kids out (leaving my coveted Nook - which we did recover later), and get in the car to throw Hayden in bed.
On the way home, we ask Hayden how much sleep he got.... his answer consisted of how many toy bins he needs. Out.of.it! Translation: I stayed up all night. So.... we put him in bed around 2:00pm.... and then tried waking him up every 15 minutes or so since about 4:30 so that he would be tired enough to go to bed. Around 5:30 I gave up and went swimming with Zoe while Jonathan went and ran errands. He brought home a Happy Meal for Hayden, who finally got out of bed around 6:30. When Jonathan tried to give him his cheeseburger, Hayden snapped - "Why would I eat a cheeseburger at 6:30 in the morning!?"
3 comments:
Totally laughing my head off. Middle os the day night terrors are way over the top!
LOL at night terrors in the middle of the day! I would have LOVED to see the sales associates faces during all this too!
Great story telling skills!!
poor thing! buahahahah!
Post a Comment