12.22.2008

Counting down

Christmas time is almost here... my shopping is just about done... except for some odds and ends, and who knows what else I find (which I shouldn't find because then I would contradict the whole point of this post). I'm very smart at my Christmas savings... I put away a little each month so when it's time to buy gifts, we don't go broke and we have it ready and waiting. BTW... I could buy some great things for the house or ME with what I save all year. And, the kids are getting older which means gifts cost more. Like this year... Hayden was SO hard to buy for and he's only 9!

It seems though that each year I spend more than what was budgeted (budget smudget) and then I freak out. NONE of the Christmas songs encourage going broke and saving all year. They chant about joy and a red nosed reindeer and Christ! What happens to the spirit of Christmas when all we do is shop shop shop. And what about the economy? It is said that since the economy is so bad, that Americans will ONLY spend about $450 billion this year on Christmas. BILLION!! Now, don't get me wrong... I shop just as good as the next person, however sometimes it's just in an effort to keep up with the rest. What if we all slowed down, spent less, focussed more on what the celebration is meant to be? How about money limits less that what they are now? Or make it for the kids? Hmm... next year, perhaps...

No comments: